Find an unfurling in 2020 at The Well Academic Early Career Writing Retreat in the restorative NSW Blue Mountains. July and December dates available.
July retreat: *Cancelled due to COVID- 19*
December retreat: ** Cancelled due to COVID-19**
In person retreats to return in 2021. In the interim, see our ONLINE program for 2020.
The 2019 retreat sold out; don’t miss out in 2020. Booking links at the bottom of this page.
Writing is challenging, and the demands of academia can make it harder.
In the publish or perish culture of the neo-liberal university, self-care practices are often the first to go as we find ourselves under increasing pressure to produce. Rather than seeing these practices as competing with our precious writing time, this unique mind-body oriented writing retreat emphasises that instead, they are a necessary part of a sustainable work practice.
Join Sydney poet and scholar Dr Willo Drummond and The Mindful Researcher, Dr Michelle Jamieson in the pristine NSW Blue Mountains for a week of writing, mindfulness, nourishing food and yoga. Over five days you will replenish the reserves of your creativity while developing takeaway skills to support a productive and sustainable writing practice.
The retreat is tailored to the needs of Early Career Researchers and PhD Candidates. You’ll come away with words on the page and the tools to maintain self-care as part of a balanced approach to writing.
Retreat fee includes:
- Accommodation for four nights in a private or shared room, in a dedicated facility set in the peaceful bushland surrounds of Happy Buddha Retreats, Wentworth Falls
- A semi-structured writing schedule facilitated by Dr Willo Drummond, with daily discussion sessions geared to foster reflexive and self-compassionate mental habits that encourage creativity and productivity
- 2 x mindfulness workshops with ‘The Mindful Researcher’ Dr Michelle Jamieson
- Daily yoga classes with an onsite teacher in a private studio
- Evening relaxation workshops to promote restorative sleep
- 11 vegetarian meals made by an onsite chef (breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the duration of the retreat)
- Access to a communal kitchen (for snacks, coffee and tea, etc.,)
- A writing desk in your room
- Access to co-working spaces within the facility
- Shared bathroom facilities (x2)
- Ample unstructured time to write
- Optional daily walks in the surrounding bushland
- Access to a local waterfall
- Access to an onsite pool
- The companionship of 6 to 10 like-minded emerging scholars
Click here for a sample schedule
Click here for FAQs and our refund policy
In person retreats to return in 2021. In the interim, see our ONLINE program for 2020