Find an unfurling in 2020 at The Well Academic Early Career VIRTUAL Writing Retreat .
Join us for an ‘at home’ retreat experience in 2020
and experience five days of mindful writing.
The 2019 retreat sold out; don’t miss out in 2020.
LAUNCHING SOON! Join our mailing list to be the first to hear when the 2020 online goes on sale.
Writing is challenging, and the demands of academia can make it harder.
In the publish or perish culture of the neo-liberal university, self-care practices are often the first to go as we find ourselves under increasing pressure to produce. Rather than seeing these practices as competing with our precious writing time, this unique mind-body oriented writing retreat emphasises that instead, they are a necessary part of a sustainable work practice.
Join Sydney poet and scholar Dr Willo Drummond and The Mindful Researcher, Dr Michelle Jamieson for a week of writing, mindfulnes and yoga. Over five days you will replenish the reserves of your creativity while developing takeaway skills to support a productive and sustainable writing practice.
The retreat is tailored to the needs of Early Career Researchers and PhD Candidates. You’ll come away with words on the page and the tools to maintain self-care as part of a balanced approach to writing.
Retreat schedule includes:
- A semi-structured writing schedule facilitated by Dr Willo Drummond, with daily discussion sessions geared to foster reflexive and self-compassionate mental habits that encourage creativity and productivity
- Live mindfulness workshops and meditation sessions with ‘The Mindful Researcher’ Dr Michelle Jamieson
- Daily live yoga classes uniquely created for the cohort
- Ample unstructured time to write
- Optional daily zoom co-writing sessions to bolster productivity and counter the isolation of the writing life
- The companionship of a small cohort like-minded emerging scholars (max 20 participants)
- Access to an online alumni community (away from social media) after the conclusion of the retreat to support your continued development in sustainable writing.
This program is for you if you:
- Struggle to find that elusive point of balance in your writing practice, wildly oscillating between distraction and grind, procrastination and burn-out
- Would like to find – or rediscover – an easeful relationship with your writing
- Struggle to ‘switch off’ and/or get to sleep after a productive day, and then suffer through brain fog the next!
- Feel that there must be a way to get significant amounts of writing done without sacrificing your well-being… you just haven’t been able to find it yet!
- Would like to develop a more sustainable writing practice, and would like to access support to do it
- Are suffering from the creative block that arises from too much isolation (always a challenge in the writing life, and never more so than right now)
- Would like to meet a bunch of intelligent compassionate emerging scholars grappling with the same challenges as you
- Would like access to a private community of like-minded writers for ongoing support
- Would just like someone in your corner, cheering you on to write WELL and write often
Feedback from our 2019 (F2F) retreat participants:
“…such an exciting and useful approach and set of tools [for managing] a work practice (academia) that can crush even the strongest. Everyone in university needs this!”
“Even though there was obviously a meditative, ‘wellness’ approach, it wasn’t overtly ‘hippy’ and was well informed and academic, with two intelligent and informed facilitators…”
“… the retreat was very worthwhile… great bonds were formed with people, intelligent discussions, much laughter and thinking time… perfect.”
“An important, courageous and necessary thing to create and please keep doing it. …thank you! You have helped me in so many ways!”
or join our mailing list for updates.